Sunday, 30 August 2009

Time is on my side, yes it is

I started working at Spot On Public Relations in January 2003. I was only 21 then. It's been such a wonderful, roller coaster ride with never a dull moment, great friendships and most certainly, a hell of a learning experience. So yes, I will still continue in a communications career. But right now, this very minute, it's time to press the pause button and sit back, relax and explore life a little bit.

There comes a time when you want to do something unpredictable, off the conventional path, and against all reason. When you need to take a risk. And very rarely does the opportunity of a very well calculated risk present itself. It has. I took it.

"That's very risky, you know. The job market is slow, you won't find anything now"
"Ha ha ha, it's a great idea on paper, but...good luck."
"But what are you going to do?"
"Why? What's wrong?"
"What about your CV? Is it just going to have a blank period in it?"
"You'll be bored in a month".

Just a few of the very encouraging comments I've had. Of course, there have been some lovely supporting ones too.

I've been thinking about this for over a year, and although I didn't plan for it, I know that now's the time. Panic struck when the moment grew closer, and when my last week started. Thoughts like "what have I done" and "is this idea going to be a complete failure" creeped into my head. But you know what? They're fading. I thought about this, made the decision and I'm going to see what happens.

There are way too many occasions on which I've said "I can't, I have work". So, no more excuses :)

Too many people now are asking "so what are you going to do". I really don't know, is the answer. Baby steps. One day at a time.

8 comments:

  1. Good Luck, don't look back and no regrets. Just look ahead, focus, follow your dreams and move on.
    This is going to be a great adventure.
    The sky is the limit for the only limits are the ones that we impose on ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had your courage when I was younger. Go for it - what is the worst that can happen? You go back to work. But the best thing could happen too - you could make all your dreams happen.

    Good luck and if you need a sounding board, an encouraging word - and you can't get hold of others - call me, tweet me, email me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Quentin Tarantino said it best :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh-QWKGbm2Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous already and you haven't even left the building yet! I took 6 months off before starting Spot On PR and everyone told me those things and more to try and put me off. Thankfully they didn't put me off at all (and they were all wrong by the way).

    Have a great time and please keep us updated on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex you know I love u, there's no need to sulk.

    I forgot to mention - I don't think there's any company in the world that has ever sent their employee to Budapest to see Tori Amos live in concert. Spot On rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Maisaloon! Am excited for you :D Also - Spot On definitely rocks more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, just stumbled across this blog.. Spoton PR is just down the hall from us! (in the Satwa Lal's building, right!)

    ReplyDelete