Wednesday, 18 February 2009

How much is too much?

We are certainly curious by nature, I can’t see any other good reason for spending billions of dollars to hang out on the moon for a few minutes. But there is the element of control, or perhaps the illusion of control? You know the drill, happy, laughing pictures of people looking their best and comments about their general excellence on their walls.

On a slight departure, I’ve been trying to wrap my head around something and I’m not sure I’m entirely comfortable with it. Jade Goody’s public battle with cancer as orchestrated by controversial PR dude Max Clifford sits a little uneasily with me. Death and disease are not strangers to the spotlight but this seems entirely different, like it’s much more opportunistic. Like it’s being used as a hook, or rather more cynically, as a means of personal gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment