Tuesday, 24 February 2009

El Hussein bombed, Abu Simbel revealed

I've often wondered about the thought process that a suicide bomber or terrorist leader goes through when planning an attack. I don't think I'll ever figure it out. My biggest question today about the Cairo bombing, is why El Hussein? Why this centre of Islamic art, architecture and modern Egyptian culture? Why Khan El Khalili? Those poor bazaar owners who are already struggling for business. Those hundreds of admittedly very annoying street kids and beggars. I can only imagine it was a very pissed off tourist who decided to hell with their nagging, let's bomb the place.

Meanwhile, in the south of Egypt, 290km southwest of Aswan, thousands gathered at the Temple of Abu Simbel for an event that happens every year, on Feb 21, and has been happening for over 7,000 years. On this night, the rays of the rising sun shine on the face of the divine figure of Ramesses II. The axis of the temple was built such that this only happens once a year, to commemorate the accession of Ramessess II to the throne. The beauty of its scientific accuracy lies in that the sun rays don't even touch the figures on either side of him. They shine on him, then disappear, leaving the sanctuary in darkness for another 12 months. It was shocking to see how many people actually knew this, and traveled as far as from Australia and Japan to witness it.

Watching both events in the same news bulletin really struck me. And I can't explain why. But the two stories are now linked for me. I can't think of one without the other.

1 comment:

  1. it's really a sad state of affairs that we live in isn't it?

    ReplyDelete